Friday, May 30, 2014

Thoughts on leaving for a second Camino

We got our packs loaded last night and ran through the checklists again to make sure we had everything and had taken care of all the home to-do items before leaving for Spain. It is morning now and I am drinking my cup of coffee from the mug covered with the sellos from my first Camino with Caroline back in 2008. This mug in one way holds all the memories of the past and the hopes for our next adventure.
I have thought alot about how a second pilgrimage is going to be different from a first. Much of the trip will be new experiences, but some will be walking again in the footsteps of our trip before and yet it will all be new for David. If I compare him to Caroline, I realize he is much more prepared for this. Maybe not physically, but he knows now what the walking is like, what a refugio is, and he has seen The Way and other documentaries enough to have a good familiarity with the expectations and trials he is likely to find.
On my account, I have tried to learn from our first pilgrimage to take the time up front to get rest and to not make too many plans.
Also the second Camino with a second child is going to build a relationship that I cherish more than anything. We are so lucky to get this chance to spend time with our kids and share in something that will have an impact on their lives for the future.
I am older, tired-er, but hopefully wiser than last time. This cup of coffee is kind of a symbol of the second Camino for me; held in the expectations of my first trip is a warm, fresh experience to be enjoyed.
Please pray for us.

No comments: