Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day Sixteen: Palas de Rei

I realized today I am walking with a machine. David again charged through a 20 mile day and still wanted to watch Germany and Portugal play in the World Cup (Germany won 4-0 if you weren't paying attention.) He is one of the strongest hikers I have been with and can seemingly continue on with nothing more than chocolate, Maria cookies, and the occasional Kas Limón. When we get to a hill, he seems to get faster and we pass people right and left.
He never complains, always looking at the churches and testing me "So what style is this one?" (Fortunately for me, we are in a part of Spain right now where they are mostly Romanesque.)
It has been interesting comparing the pilgrimages with both my kids. Each brings a special quality to them that I will always cherish. I was talking to an Italian girl today that was doing the Camino with her father and she made the point that out here it is timeless. You have time to enjoy your relationship together and not be bounded by responsibilities. 

I wish we all had more "timelessness" with our kids. We would remember how very special they really are.

No comments: