Saturday, May 31, 2008

Day One El Aeropuerto

The trip to Madrid was fortunately uneventful. The plane left promptly and all of our things arrived on time. Unfortunately though, I did not get much sleep. You would think that a teenager who can fall asleep in any class she wants(just kidding, Mom) would be able to sleep on an airplane but apparently not. I watched the movie Juno twice (it was a toss up between either that or American Gangster) and tried to look out the window for the rest of the trip. Dad, on the other hand, was happily asleep in the seat next to me with eyeguards and ear plugs.

After we got to the Madrid airport, we had a four hour layover waiting for our plane to Leon. We either had the choice of taking a plane or a train to Leon so my dad said he wanted to take the plane, because it would get us there faster and we would have more time to tour around. Unfortunately the way the Madrid airport is set up, once you pick up your things from the baggage claim you have to leave. Having four hours, Dad and I figured we would get some little snacks and then hang out in the terminal. We then realized that since we were out of the airport there were no nice little shops to look at (no buying things, of course, because weight is everything) and there were no chairs to sit in. We could not check in because we were so early and there was no one at the check in station. Needless to say, I now know the outside of the Madrid airport like the back of my hand and can take you anywhere you want as long as you don´t have a ticket.

The company that we flew with was so small that they did not have their own gate, but made us walk outside on the tarmack to get to the plane. Finally, we did get on the plane though. The flight attendants had the best outfits ever-lime green suits with dark blue trimming and dark blue felt high heels with lime green trimming. While we were on the plane, we met a very nice woman from Brazil who will also be hiking the Camino, but starting at a diffent place than us. Of course, she compared notes with Dad, and they intensely discussed their expectations of the trip. After an hour ride, we got off at the smallest airport I have ever seen, and had to use the phone for the first time to call a taxi, who dropped the lady off at the train station and us at our first refugio.

Now I have to say the alberges, refugios, or hostels (whatever you want to call them) are all that I expected. They have big rooms filled with bunkbeds and a bathroom with showers, toilets, and sinks. This first one we stayed at had two floors one for men and one for women so my dad and I got split up. My dad met a man who is a funeral motorcylist that directs funerals on a motorcyle (not the average Joe´s career).

We saw the cathedral which has some of the most beautiful stained glass in Europe and visited the library and cloister at San Isidoro. Afterwards, we went to eat where I got to try out some of my spanish and order paella. I thought it was neat to see the brass symbols for the Camino all over the city because the trail passes right through the center (knowing my dad and me, I am still scared we will get lost). I am excited for the rest of the trip; the next day is walking.
Caroline

4 comments:

Len said...

I'm not surprised you didn't sleep. You never have been able to sleep on an airplane, not even as a baby. Just like now, you were too afraid you would miss something. Take care of those feet and Dad, drink lots of water, and keep posting! Love you, Mom

Unknown said...

Hey caroline!!! I deffinatly feel for your feet, I ran a mile yesterday morning. No lie. I got new shoes that are offically ruinied because my ankles bleed on them... yuck. I dont really know if I want to go to Madrid airport so... your knowledge of all of it.. might be a little useless. Sorry. Concert was cool. Wish you could have been there! The place it was at was slightly sketch... My mom uses that word now. FYI. :P Um, I'm scrapbooking Pius homecoming. Fun stuff. I can't wait till you get back! So.. walk faster. =] Again stay safe.
JECH

Unknown said...

aaaahh
sounds like you had a lot of fun
the best happens when you least expect it..
thats a great way to start your trip
maybe God will put a Jesus-shield (tm) on your feet to keep the blisters away

Anonymous said...

You decided to watch juno over american ganster? sad. i will base my life off of that movie. no just kidding.
i would say i'm surprised your dad met multiple people on your first day...but i'm not.
I'm slightly disappointed that i do not own one of the flight attendants outfits cause those sound like something i would wear! yea baby! hahaha.
If I were separated from my dad in one of those places i would cry. it sounds kind of sketch, i'm not going to lie. But this means now every time you sleep over here i can stick you outside with no problem! haha just kidding.
Well good luck with the walking. I bet it'll be so beautiful outside youwon't even notice if your feet are hurting...or they will just go numb from being overworked. ok have fun!!! signing off
Silver Bullet.