Monday, May 12, 2008

PRAYER OF THE PILGRIM (Los Arcos)

"Lord, you who called your servant Abraham out of the town of Ur in Chaldea
and who watched over him during all his wanderings; you who guided the Jewish
people through the desert; we pray for you to watch your servants, who
for the love of your name, make a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Be for us,
a companion on our journey
the guide on our intersections
the strengthening during fatigue
the fortress in danger
the resource on our itinerary
the shadow in our heat
the light in our darkness
the consolation during dejection
and the power of our intention

so that we under your guidance, safely and unhurt, may reach the end of our journey,
and strengthened with gratitude and power, secure and filled with happiness,
may join our home, for Jesus Christ, Our Lord, Amen.

Apostle James, pray for us
Holy Virgin, pray for us"

1 comment:

Vagabondinglulu said...

Thank you for the Pilgrim's Prayer - I have been looking all over the Internet and in my El Camino books for it. On Wednesday I am giving a presentation at my church about my spiritual journeys on El Camino. At the end of the presentation, I would like the members of my church to lay their hands on me and bless me with this prayer. I am again journeying on El Camino with the purpose of writing a daily devotion. Like you, I could never find one before I left on past occasions. And now I find yours! I will not read yours until after mine is complete, because I think the verses quoted will be so similar. But I did take a quick peek, and I ,too, have been given by the Holy Spirit the verse in Jeremiah: 'Stand at the ancient roads...' The theme for my last pilgrimage, along with: Micah 6:8 walk humbly with your God. Praise God for You! --Your sister in Christ, Stacey Wittig