Thursday, May 15, 2008

All I can think about is You

So have you ever heard of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Otherwise known as OCD. Well, it must run in the family. When we find something we like, we just can't take our minds off of it. This disorder seems to be especially prevalent in my father. He just can't take his mind off of this trip. Dad has been going around weighing everything and getting us to try out our new stuff and use it on a daily basis. Now I'm not complaining about the weighing, but I am complaining about the usage of materials only meant to be used for backpacking and not daily use. Here are some of the things he has made me do, these are direct quotes:

  • "Caroline, here you have to try out this bar of soap for the next couple of days. I bought it for the Camino. We're gonna use it to wash our bodies, wash our clothes, wash our hair, and brush our teeth" Wow, I did not know they made such a “magical” bar of soap!!!
  • "Caroline, take this deodorant and put a mark on it with a sharpie each time you use it, so we can see how long it is going to last you. I’ve got twelve now how many do you have?”
  • "Oh good, it's raining. Now is a perfect time to put on our packs and ponchos and hike around the neighborhood" OK, Dad, that is a great idea. Let’s hope everyone we know is outside, so they can watch us in our best hiking outfits.
  • "Here try out this new sleeping bag. It weighs 1 pound 4 ounces and is almost paper thin. I want you to sleep on the floor tonight, so you can see how it feels." Sure, I'll sleep on the floor right next to my nice comfortable bed. I only have school and a lacrosse game tomorrow.

Well, guys, I need your prayers.
Caroline

3 comments:

ksam said...

Ohhhh Caroline, you are not alone!! I'm wearing a lovely spring green and black suit at work, with Smartwool socks over my hose and my hiking shoes with the new orthotics one! Doesn't every secretary/receptionist wear something like that to the office?? And last night...since the sleeping bag I was testing got too warm...I switched bags and liners at 3:30am. Doesn't everyone test sleep multiple sleeping bags and combinations per night??? Only people planning to do the Camino apparently!! Wishing you all the best, Buen Camino, Karin

Rhonda said...

What an absolutely beautiful way of building memories that will last a lifetime!

God's peace,

Rhonda Boyle

Anonymous said...

Hello Caroline and Len!! I am looking forward to reading your blog for this journey. Caroline, you were cracking me up with the bar of soap/sleeping bag/poncho comments. There may be a part time career in comedy for you after you finish college and start off on a successful career of course. Take care guys and have a blast. Thinking about you in D-Town.
Steven