Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day Eighteen: Finisterre, the End of the World

Yeah!!!!!!! We finally got to Finisterre, the end of our hiking trip. It has been such a wonderful and beautiful experience. I am sad it will be ending soon.
Yesterday we got in to Finisterre about 5:00pm after hiking 33k. The hike in was absolutely beautiful. We walked on lush green hills with wildflowers and windmills in the background. As we came up and over the hills, we could see the ocean in front of us and all of the little beach towns crowding the shore. As we walked into Finisterre, we saw gorgeous white, sandy beaches with the bluest water I have ever seen. We will be staying 2 and a half days here and I am excited about going swimming today.
On the last day of our hiking trip, I finally learned what this trip was all about. I had been yearning to get to Santiago so much that I was not thankful for what I had around me at that point. Yesterday it finally struck me that it is not where you are going or how quickly you get there. All that matters is the memories you made and the experiences you had on The Way (The Way is another name for the Camino).
Caroline

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yayyyy I can't wait to see you home. can you come over on thursday the 26th? :) please.
glad you have ... completely enjoyed yourself... i was going to put... (prounounced) "th-ur-O-ly" but i couldnt figured out how to spell it...so you get my messed up pronunciation instead!! Arn't you the lucky one. ;)
-JECH

OH! P.S. My dad took some co-workers for a bike ride and one of them had a heart attack, his name is Don. Please pray for him!

Unknown said...

ha that sounds great
it always seems that the end of the trail always has the most beautiful scenery. please bring back pictures :)

ian #2