Sunday, June 8, 2008

Silence is Beautiful

Today we climbed up for about 30k. This means we were going all uphill for about 20miles. From the beginning it did not look like it was going to be a promising day. First we had to choose whether we wanted to go on the pretty yet quite steep and long route or the straight(er) yet on the road route. When you have to make decisions like that it is always sad to have to sacrifice one for the other. We decided to take the straight(er) route because we are budgeting for time and wanted to get to the town that we had originally planned on getting to today. We thought it might be necessary to change plans because someone we talked to said that we would never be able to make the distance with the incline all in one day. But we did!!!!!!! Then after we chose our path it started to rain. Ooooooo, yes rain. You know what rain means right? Raincoats.You know what raincoats mean right? Those hideous ponchos discussed at great length in the beginning of the blog. Yes, we actually wore them. Just call us Bob the tomato and Clifford the big red dog (I´m Cliford, of course). So we trudged in the rain for a while. Then we got to the steepest part of the climb. The rain stopped and the sun came out. But it was hot (Mom, we did put on sunscreen). We climbed up to the top of one of the mountains through the first forestry part that we have hiked in.
We pop out in a clearing and like magic the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my entire life comes into view. Now, not to brag or anything but I have been around the world and seen some pretty beautiful stuff in my 16 years of life. This does not compare to anything I have ever seen (it would be like trying to compare a watermellon to Brad Pitt). There were mountains everywhere covered in wildflowers of all colors. Bald mountains with no trees so you could see little towns and pastures with cows. I had to sit down right in the middle of it for ten minutes just to take it all in. We took tons of pictures so don´t worry (they are not going to compare to the real thing but it is next to best). You know how I said the other day how the scenery made you want to sing? Well, this landscape silenced you completely. It was really that beautiful.
We came to the town and the albergue was nice but it had about 100 beds per room so I quickly vetoed it and we are staying in a nice hostel with a bathroom down the hall.
Thanks so much for all the prayers
Love you
See you
Bye
Caroline

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am SUPER glad you're enjoying it now.
It's reakky cool youre doing this, hiking that is. I'm totally jealous :P
Carolines Awsome Trip on Camino >(xinfinity) PE & Health

Haha. Church today! whoohoo. Dude I went to the grocerie yesterday... food price is going up SOOO much. Tis insane. Someone needs to fix this.
Miss you.
-JECH

Unknown said...

Gah... Forgive me for my inability to spell in the pervious comment...

Anonymous said...

It sounds absolutly wondeful! What an experience This is one to tell the grand kids! In the far far far futur!

All my love, Aunt Pat

By the way, for hiking sandles, I didn;t think they were so bad.