Tuesday, June 24, 2008

We are Back Home

We are back in Atlanta now and finally starting to get our heads around not being on the Camino. The last three weeks seemed to have passed in a heartbeat, and now we are almost feeling like we are back from a dream. Our clothes don't smell any more (thank goodness) and most of the stuff is put back away in the camping room. I finally figured out how to get the slideshow option on Flickr to work so you can see our photos on the blog and Caroline is downloading more as we speak. The Compostelas and Finisteras (our official documents of completion) are being pressed in a picture book on the Camino Irene's aunt and uncle gave us last time we were in Spain. It was part of the inspiration for the trip and I could not imagine a better place to press out the curl from being in a tube.

Caroline and I took the dog for a walk last night and I felt that speed of motion that I had gotten used to. We joked when we passed her school on the way home from the airport that we walked at least that far everyday for almost three weeks, but now, we would never think of doing that here. It will take some time to get our heads around what doing this trip has meant to us and it's impact. But I am already yearning to walk somewhere, be able to talk to my daughter knowing that we are sharing something that no one can take away or ever fully be a part of.

When I got here I was truly amazed to find out how many people were reading this and interested in our trip. Thank you all for caring and for the prayers that made this possible and as wonderful of an experience as it was.


Stand at the crossroads and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies, and walk in it and find rest for your souls. -Jeremiah 6-16

4 comments:

Jim G said...

I just found your blog courtesy of a link at http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/

I'll have to read your entries later, but I am glad to see in your 'Books read' section Donald & Maria Schell's "My Father, My Daughter" - if not I was going to suggest it. Any thoughts on re-reading it now that you are done, or perhaps writing of your own experiences?

Len said...

Jim:
That was the first book I actually read on the Camino! The way it was written between the two of them was interesting, but I did not find it as appealing as some other books. You may be right thought to go back and reread it now.
I don't think we will be writing about our times though. There are plenty of good Camino books out there by much better authors. The world does not need our water in the sea.
Thanks.

Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruth said...

I just revisited your blog and was delighted to find that you had posted reflections. I loved the quote about not having sinned enough to deserve the albergue. That was great. The reference must have been to the large, cold, damp, "sardine style" albergues that housed 100+ people in one room with only 4 toilets, 4 showers and lots of snorers. I copied that quote and sent it to my Camino companions. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Ruth
http://www.elcamino.norsketech.com/ecblog/ecblog.html
http://www.elcamino.norsketech.com